Is it a modular home? Is a manufactured home? Is it a trailer? What's the difference?
In our market we see the term modular getting misused a LOT! People (including some agents) are of the belief that just because you take the wheels off and put block, non load bearing around the perimeter that it somehow makes it a modular. Nope, it doesn't. If the house was ever on wheels and was delivered from the factory to the site on wheels and has a iron I-beam under it it's a manufactured home.
A modular home:
- built completely in a factory
- delivered on flat bed truck
- set in place by a crane on a permanent load bearing foundation
- must conform to the same building codes as site built homes
- must be structurally approved by inspectors
- are highly customizable
- are treated the same by banks and insurance companies as site-built homes
- does not, nor did it ever have a "title" or seriel number
A manufactured home (formally called a trailer or mobile home):
- available in three sizes: single wide, double wide or triplewide
- much more affordable than modular or site-built homes
- are manufactured in sections in a factory
- are transported on steel chassis which are never removed
- are transported on their own wheels (which are most times removed in our area)
- are treated as a separate lending category
- are insured differently from modulars or site-built homes
- conform to HUD standards
- do not have a conventional foundation
- has a seriel number and a title or a retired title
If you buying a home on Lake Sinclair it makes sense to work with an agent who knows the difference as it certainly makes a difference when it comes to financing. And if the listing agent has the wrong information in the MLS they obviously don't know the difference. When you are buying a manufactured home the rate is slightly higher and there is the extra step to have an engineer certify the permanent attachment and the perimeter around the structure. At Lane Realty, we know the difference and can guide you accordingly.
706-485-9668 us on facebook
(Click on Lane Realty Logo for web site)
Tammy Lankford, Broker/Owner
Broker License # 169695 Lane Realty License # H-11420
Call me today for all your Lake Sinclair real estate needs.
We always have water at lake sinclair Lake Sinclair stays full even during droughts. Click to read why and how.
For readers who are not members of ActiveRain feel free to also add your comments or you can click on the EMAIL me link to the right of this blog and email me. Thanks for reading.
All content belongs to me unless otherwise stated. Do not use without permission. Logos and photographs may also be copyright registered. Please do not use without my express written permission.